January 3, 2009 - New Year, New Blog?

I begin this by thanking my friend Gary for "hacking" his way into the backdoor of this blog. After being informed that my last post was "old" and my blog needed to be updated, I tried to do this over the holidays.

It was one of those situations where you rely on logic and it fails you. With each attempt at accessing the editing portion of the blog, the pesky screen announced I needed to create a new blog. No, I thought, I see my blog. It's....rightTHERE. I'm looking at it. I want to get into it. Blogger would not comply.

"Forgot your password?" was initialized and I went through the email loop only to find that the password I tried was the one I had been using. Blogger refused my access.

I changed email accounts. No good.

I thought if it changed my password, it would help. Blogger was unhappy with my choices. It wanted me to make it longer, add capital letters, add numbers....I don't think it's unfair to say that that Stephen King story where machines try to take over mankind is not that farfetched. I had a password that resembled quantum physics. Blogger was the pony-tailed bouncer in front of my blog and I wasn't good enough to get in.

I even tried to "fool it" and create a new blog with my current blog name and it found that unacceptable. Yes, it was taken...by me! My own creation had turned against me. Nothing was tender and mild about this. It never fails that something always goes wrong during the holidays.

Gary likes to get his hands dirty on word usage and technology. I sent him an email with the info about it and figured if he can't fix this, it's unfixable. Kathleen Newsom's blog will simply remain with one post and I'll have to legally change my name to have my own blog. I don't know the voodoo incantation Gary used, but he was able to persuade Blogger to let me back into my blog to update. Thank you, Gary!

I don't believe in New Year's resolutions because they generally work around things that I either I don't do or can't do.

I don't smoke, so quitting smoking's no good.

Lose weight...welllll, I did put on some pounds over the holidays, but I've already gone back to the better eating habits (like "no pie for dinner"). I still go to the gym five days a week since I joined back in 1992. We've entered into the cycle of resolutionists who are on group tours with gym personnel prior to the memberships. I was on one of the treadmills when they went by and I was tempted to ask them to throw peanuts at me. I felt in captivity. You can always tell the new members because they don't know how to work the locker keys in the locker room, never know where the showers are, look at the console display of equipment like they're diffusing a bomb, and always dressed in brand new gym outfits. They'll be gone by the second full week after Mardi Gras officially gets underway.

Saving money? With my 401(k), perhaps that should be "give up gambling". After much soul searching, I've decided to keep my contribution the same as last year. Despite the predictions that the economy will be in a slow rise for the next 18 to 24 months, it can't get worse than it has and there's money to be made. I look at it this way, if I do destroy my 401(k), at least it will be one less thing to worry about.

I want to write, meaning actually sitting down and doing it -- not talking about doing it, not thinking about talking about doing it, or doing other things with the intention of doing it and it never happens. The economy is bad right now, so I officially love my job and am not looking to leave. That gives me time to do other things. This should be one of them. I just hope I don't get in my own way or overthink which I oftentimes do. I guess this is the closest I will get to a resolution.

I hope you will all have a wonderful 2009!